Sunday, July 14, 2013

Surprise NYC Weekend!

If you're a facebook friend of mine, you probably know that I was in NYC a few weekends (3 to be exact) ago for a surprise trip! I've been keeping this secret for the past 8ish months but now that everyone knows, I'll share- my brother is engaged!!!! I'm going to have a new sister!!!!!!!

My older brother was planning the surprise NYC proposal weekend for MONTHS and my entire family officially were made aware of his plans back in January when he came down to VA/NC for my birthday.  He had planned a decoy couples trip with a few of his friends from Detroit and my sister and I, and his (now) fiancée's brother to all flew up to NYC secretly and surprise her at the dinner after the proposal. We all had such a fun weekend exploring NYC and doing new things, visiting museums, eating amazing food in some fabulous restaurants throughout the city, and most of all- celebrating this big step for my brother and his fiancée! The hardest part was not letting Rachna catch on to the fact that we were in NYC as well when she texted and all three of us would get together to get on the same page with whatever story (ahem, lie) we were telling her!

We flew up from CLT on Friday, June 21st and met Rachna's (my bro's fiancée) brother at LaGuardia and then we all caught a cab to our hotel to drop off our luggage and then we were off! We ended up heading to MoMA first! I haven't been here since the early 90s when my family came to NYC for a medical conference with my dad.  At that time, I was literally OBSESSED with Starry Night and I was a total fangirl once again when I saw it on this trip. I'll be honest, Alok (Rachna's brother) and I didn't get a lot of the "art" and I did get in trouble for attempting to touch a piece of pink plexiglass that was called "Bubblegum" but I mean, we had fun.

IMG 20130621 121233 247

We headed to Little Italy for a late (but oh my gosh delicious) lunch at Caffe Napoli! The food was to die for- Alok and I had the ricotta manicotti and my sister had the fresh gnocci with a pesto cream sauce!

IMG 20130621 161615 822

IMG 20130621 163900 906

We walked around a bit in the area, and then headed back to our hotel.  My sister was meeting up with a friend so Alok and I bonded and  had a heart to heart about life, our siblings, family, etc for about 3 hours hah! We eventually realized it was almost 10PM and so we ventured to my favorite- Famous Famiglia for some pizza for dinner! It was just as delicious as I remembered!

IMG 20130621 215555 430

IMG 20130621 215600 668

IMG 20130621 215754 271

I sometimes have dreams about this pizza...

Saturday was a BIG day for everyone! I was keeping in touch with my brother throughout the day via text to make sure our paths never crossed. The ironic thing about the day was that we literally did everything my brother and Rachna had planned but just 4-5 hours earlier than them!! We had such a fun day! We started off on our way to the American Museum of Natural History but got sidetracked with the street fair that was happening on 6th Avenue right outside our hotel so we had a ton of fun walking around and seeing all the different stalls and all food tents!

IMG 20130622 101216 211

IMG 20130622 104604 462


We eventually made our way to the subway and uptown towards Central Park and the museum! We walked through Central Park a little and eventually made our way to the museum, conscious of the time because my brother had a strict timeline of the afternoon when he was planning on proposing! It was so cute, my brother would text me to inform me of the status of their day and where they were in his plan! We walked through the park, took a snack break (yumm NYC bagels), and I increasingly became jealous of all the runners and women who were running hills with their trainers/coaches! I love Central Park!

IMG 20130622 120346 482

IMG 20130622 122408 590

IMG 20130622 123443 364

We finally made it to the museum and boy did we spend a lot of time in there! Alok has a thing for dinosaurs so we spent some time on that floor and made our way down from the top level! I've never been to this museum in NYC so it was definitely fun seeing new things but I don't think it would be on the top of my favorites list.  We were struggling to make it out of here before my brother's 4pm deadline (he was taking Rachna there in the afternoon) so we had to skip some areas on the lower levels but we still saw and learned a TON!

After our museum afternoon, we were desperately hungry so we started walking back towards our hotel (mind you the museum is on 84th street I believe and our hotel was on 35th/36th) in hopes of finding somewhere to have a quick lunch since we were going to have an amazing dinner at Valbella in the Meatpacking District and surprising Rachna post-proposal with the decoy friends/couples there as well! On our walk back towards the hotel, we stopped in a couple cute shops and got some recommendations after a Starbucks stop of course! Everyone kept recommending Italian restaurants but on our walk, we found this amazing cantina-type restaurant with some great vegetarian options and AMAZING margaritas!

IMG 20130622 160321 549

IMG 20130622 160919 209

IMG 20130622 162626 019

After we stuffed our faces, we continued our walk, in hopes of finding a cab since we missed so many subway stations on the walk back and we even stopped by a sample sale but everything cute& attractive was either too small or too big! We walked and walked and walked and eventually made it back to our hotel with maybe 30 minutes for all three of us to get ready before catching a cab to dinner! We were all so gross and sweaty from the 50ish block walk back to the hotel but no one had a chance to shower so we tried our best to look amazing and get the present ready to take with us!

IMG 20130622 190526 495

We eventually made it to the restaurant about 30 minutes late but I was keeping in touch with my brother via text and they hadn't left Central Park so I knew we would be fine! We ended up awkwardly making conversation with my brother's friends until he texted to let me know they were on their way to the restaurant and I could not stop staring at the stairs/entrance to the private room to catch Rachna's reaction!!! It was priceless by the way!

IMG 20130622 213410 200

IMG 20130622 203903 788

IMG 20130622 222851 715

We gave them their presents once they sat down and got settled and then we had an amazing dinner! It was so great catching up with Rachna and seeing the ring too!!! After the enormous, rich dinner& dessert, my brother made a table reservation at a lounge near our hotel so we ended up going just for a couple hours and then let my Rachna & my brother hang out with their friends since it seemed more like a friend thing than sibling thing.  By 2am, we were back in our hotel and in bed!!  What a Saturday we had!

Sunday morning we planned on having a sibling breakfast since we didn't really get any time specifically for all 5 of us to catch up so we planned to head over to the Hell's Kitchen Flea Market before meeting up with my brother and Rachna for breakfast, which turned into brunch, which eventually ended up to be a quick lunch with my brother, Rachna, and 2 of my brother's med school friends who flew up as well.

IMG 20130623 094902 704

The super quick lunch (everyone had to catch flights back to Detroit, etc and they were leaving for the airport in a couple hours) was at Cafe Europa near the Westin in Times Square since it was pretty close to where we were as well as my brother & Rachna's hotel. SO good. I love that place- since we usually stay in Times Square when we go with my mom/parents, we always usually hit up Europa for breakfast so I knew this would be a great selection.

After everyone made their way to the airport, my sister and I tried to go to Bloomingdales (let me tell you, NYC shopping is NO FUN when you have virtually zero disposable income) and walk around the Madison Avenue area but I was becoming overheated and was having trouble breathing so I ended up chugging some gatorade from one of those street carts when we walked back down 5th Avenue towards our hotel.  We decided to go rest at the hotel for a little since the temperatures were hitting above 90 and then planned to do a sister dinner at an Indian restaurant that one of my sister's friend recommended--Sarvanaa Bhavan! Here is the MENU since their website is a little confusing. It was AMAZING. I love South Indian food (dosas, sambhar, raasam, etc) and this place was perfect! We ended up getting medhu vadas for our appetizer with a bowl of raasam for each of us (um I totally had 2 it was so good!!!) and then I chose the Mysore Masala Dosa and my sister chose the Mixed Vegetable Uthappam.  We shared both of our entrees and boy were they delicious!!!

IMG 20130623 193105 562

the raasam was delicious!!! so spicy, hot, & sour it was perfect!

IMG 20130623 193133 770

the medhu vadas! the light green chutney was my favorite- so spicy but a little sweet!

IMG 20130623 193950 034

sister's mixed vegetable uthappam

IMG 20130623 193955 908

my mysore masala dosa! I never finish all my food at Indian restuarants because the protions are always so large but you better believe my plate was empty after this meal!

We had a quite Sunday evening and tried to pack as much as possible since we were leaving Monday afternoon for the airport and had to check out in the morning! We ended up exploring some of the stores in the area around our hotel on our way back from the restaurant but most of them were closed so we made mental notes to check them out in the morning! Monday morning we ended up swinging by the Victoria's Secret by our hotel since their big sale was still going on (a 3 story VS- I kid you not!), Zara because I love their dresses, H&M so I could return a dress that didn't look so great on compared to the hanger, and then we made our way into the 34th Street Macy's!

IMG 20130624 121005 287

My sister is a big fan in general of Macy's but I love this store hands down! There are so many different floors to explore and they always have a great shoe floor and holiday floor in the winter! We made our way to the shoe floor since my cheap as dirt sandals from Charming Charlie were literally falling apart at the seams and then we made our way throughout the rest of the store! We had a quick, early lunch at Au Bon Pain inside of Macy's and had a little Ben and Jerry's for dessert before heading back to our hotel where we recharged our phones before catching a cab back to the airport! WHAT a time we had at the airport as well! Apparently flights were being cancelled left and right and anyone with a connection out of Charlotte was automatically cancelled and had to be re-booked so when I told the ticketing agent that CLT was our final destination (not to be creepy at all) she let us cut to the front of the line since we were all checked in and paid for our checked bags (thank god I chose to check my bag and only had a tote/purse with me for the ridiculous flight) and we were on our way! Our flight was eventually delayed about 3.5 hours but it didn't get cancelled like so many of the CLT flights before ours and we eventually made it home!

We had a crazy, busy, intense four days in NYC but I am so glad that my brother let us be apart of that special weekend between him and Rachna and I am beyond excited to have another sister!

Congratulations to my big brother & his new fiancée! 

8D6BDBB5BFAE5AD77387576407CCDABC

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

10K 13.1 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2022 30 Day Shred 32 5K 80s 8K 90210 90s ACC Basketball AGD Aladdin alcohol alias Alpha Gamma Delta Amazon Amy Amy Poehler Animal Kingdom Ann Taylor apple apple juice April Art of Animation artichokes Asian Aziz Ansari baa babies Backstreet Boys baking banana Bar Exam BCBG beach beauty bed berry beverage bff BFFs birthdays black Black Honey Blacksburg blog hiatus bloggers blogging blogs blue Brave Britney Spears Broccoli brothers Brown Burn Boot Camp Cabernet Sauvignon Cafe Carolina Calvin Harris Calvin Klein Canada cancer candles cardigan Carly Rae Jepson casual friday Center City Park Chanel changes Cheese Cher chex Clinique Clinque clothes Clueless cocoa butter coffee college cookies cooking coral corn cousins Crunches culture clash cupcakes Daddy dairy danville dates David Yurman dessert desserts detroit Detroit in Training diamonds diets Disney Disney Princess DISNEY WORLD disordered eating doctors Dogs Donnie Wahlberg downtown Downtown Disney drink driving DSW Eminem engagement Epcot espresso Esquire Este Lauder ethics exercise exhaustion Expo eyeliner fall family family law farmer's market Fat Joe Father's Day favorites finals flowers flying food foot Football Founder's Day Franco Sarto French Friday Friday Favorites friends fruit fruits Full House Garmin gatorade Gilmore Girls girl crush goals goldfish grandma Grandpas Greek Greensboro grey Gu hair half marathon happieness Hawaii health heartache henna hilarious Hinduism Hokies Hollywood Studios Homeland humor ice cream Indian Indian food injury insomnia iTunes Ja Rule Jasmine JayZ jcp jeopardy Jerry McGuire Jillian Michaels Jimmy Fallon JLo jobs John Legend John Stamos June Justin Timberlake Kanye Kanye West Kasper Kelly Kelly Clarkson Kelly Kapoor Kelly Rowland Kid Cudi KT Tape La Roux lace Lady Antebellum lady gaga law school Legally Blonde Leo Leonardo Dicaprio Leslie Knope LIEP life link up lip balm local businesses LOFT loneliness Lorelai Gilmore Lost love Lucy Ludacris Luna Bar Macados Macy's Magic Kingdom makeup Malbec mango March Mariah Carey maroon Marshalls Maryland mascara Maui May medals Mexican Michael Scott Milania milkshakes Mindy Mindy Kailing Missoni moisturizer moms Month in Review mornings Mother's Day motivation music Myrtle Beach nachos nail polish National Running Day NC Nelly Nemo Netflix new friends New Jersey New Years Nick Carter Nike Nike+ Nine West NJ NKOTBSB North Carolina NY and Co. NYC Old Navy Olivia Pope OOTD OPI orange outfits packing Pandora Panera ParksNRec party Pearls perfume pie piedmont triad pink Pioneer Woman pizza plants Playlist Wednesday polka dots potatoes potpourri PR Princesses Product Review progress PTI Puerto Rico pugs pupcakes puppies puppies and booze purple race shopping races racing rain Raleigh random recipes red red wine relationships RHOA RHONJ rides Rihanna Ripped in 30 run runDisney running Rusty sad sarcasm saris SATC SBS sbsmeetup SBTB Scandal Sephora September shoes shopping siblings sick sickness single sisterhood sisters skirt suit sleep snacks Snow Sorority soup South South Carolina South Indian souvenirs SparkleSkirts spinach Spring spring break Sprite studying success Suits Summer summertime sun Sunday Recipe support surprise Tahari tapering Target teal tequilla teryaki thanksgiving The Good Wife The Hills The Lion King The Little Mermaid The OC The Office TI Tim Gunn Tina Tina Fey Tinderella Titanic Tom Haverford tourists traditions training training plan travel treat yo self Tresemme trips Tuesday Thoughts tv TV shows Usher vegetarian Virginia Tech virus vodka Walt Disney World wasabi wear to work wedding wedding dresses weddings weight loss wellness WHBM white wine wino words to live by work workouts WTP