Ahhh I am perpetually late with my Sunday Recipe posts! Maybe I should just rename them Monday's Recipe? Oh well, at least it is here! I love making these banana milkshakes since they remind me of when I was little and my mom would (force) have my brother, sister, and I all drink a glass of milk before we were allowed to leave the house in the mornings before school. These ended up being a special treat my mom and I would make for my sister and I to have some change to our usual chocolate and strawberry milk, respectively. If we were being extra good around that time, then my mom would add a little vanilla ice cream to the milkshakes to get us to drink our 12 oz glasses of milk every day! Maybe this is why I have an aversion to straight milk these days?
OK so here is what you need:
- Milk- any variety, I prefer 1% or skim but the rest of my family only drinks 2%
- 2 (very) ripe bananas
- 1 scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream (use your favorite brand- I love blue bunny or bryers)
Here's the Method:
1. Measure the amount of milk you want to use (I always do half of the size of mug I use- or do the whole mug for 2 servings)
2. Add the bananas and scoop of ice cream to your handy blender (I love using my Oster blender for these milkshakes and my kitchenaid one for margaritas).
3. Blend all of the ingredients together until desired consistency.
pretty mug from Disney World!
4. Pour into mug and enjoy!
I think this would be great using a vanilla protein powder instead of the ice cream if you are trying for something a little healthier! You can always omit the ice cream all together as well but I find it to be a nice treat and extra sweetness in addition to the ripe bananas!
Do you use protein powder? What is your favorite brand/variety/flavor???