What a week so far! I've been trying to stay on track with my Detroit training plan since I am officially in week 2! This is a lot harder than I remember so I am really proud of myself for not getting lazy thinking "Oh I can do that run tomorrow" and then never get it done. I did skip Sunday's 6 miler but caught up on Monday and kept on track with my 5 mile ''short run' yesterday! I am hoping I can stay on track through week 3 so I can create this into a habit that I can stick with for the following 9 weeks! A post on my training plan is coming soon! In the meantime, here is this week's playlist!
- Live Your Life (feat. Rihanna)- T.I.
- OK so I have always LOVED T.I. (well, since high school) and last summer when I was in Raleigh for the bar exam, I rediscovered my love for him. I watched a T.I. and Tiny (his wife) marathon on VH1 and I just love how real he is. Granted, yeah he had some gun issues but I feel like since his house arrest, he actually turned some things around and is actually doing some good. I don't know but I love him! I love this song especially the message. I love the theme of just living your life and not worrying about what other people are doing as long as you move forward, not backwards. I'd like to think that's how I'm living my life and this song always makes me think about things like that while I run and then 30 minutes have passed and I haven't even realized it! Definitely check out the link, download it from iTunes (or any other legal method of downloading music!) and love it! I know I do!
- '03 Bonnie and Clyde- Jay-Z & Beyonce
- Ahhh, another high school favorite. I love how this song was the beginning of the JayZ& Beyonce empire we know nowadays. I love running to this song because I use the different rap portions by JayZ and Beyonce to do sprint intervals during a run. Definitely a great song when working on speed!
- Young Forever- Jay-Z & Mr. Hudson
- I guess this song has been in my head this week more so because it reminds me of life and just enjoying being young and single. Lately, things have been hectic but this song always reminds me to enjoy life and make good (maybe bad) life decisions because what I'm doing now will be my memories that I'll reminisce about when I'm old and grey (ugh I don't want to be grey).
- Can I Get A…- Jay-Z feat. Amil & Ja Rule
- I LOVE this song from the Rush Hour soundtrack. I swear, the first time I heard this song was because my brother made me watch Rush Hour and I heard it in the closing credits (I think?). I remember being so scandalous and watching this rap video on MTV back in the day. I guess this song is a great addition to the playlist for the same reason as the '03 Bonnie and Clyde. I love doing sprint intervals/speedwork with rap songs that have been somewhat mainstream.
- Honey (Bad Boy remix)- Mariah Carey feat. Puff Daddy, Mase, & Jadakiss
- Ok so this song is purely on my playlist because I just love MC so much AND this remix. 1- it reminds me of simpler times in life when people/things weren't so crazy and complicated and 2- I love how this song was a sort of release for MC and like a theme song for the next stage in her life. Ok, I am getting way deep here but seriously check out the amazing video, listen to the song, and add it to your next playlist!
These songs definitely helped me get through my first 'long run' on Monday and I even finished with a most amazing pace! Here are my stats:
pretty fantastic pace, right??!! Slowly but surely building up my speed!
and my cutiepie Rusty from our walk Tuesday evening! He was freaking out excited .5 seconds after this picture since it started raining and that means MUD, his favorite (not mine!!)!!
What songs got you going this week during your workouts??